Ebenezer United Methodist Church

Ebenezer United Methodist Church

3092 Oakland Rd.

Louisa, Va. 23093

Like us on Facebook!

About Ebenezer: Ebenezer United Methodist Church has been a part of the Oakland community for more than 100 years.
Worship Time: 10:00 a.m.
Sunday School Time: 9:15 a.m.

Children, Youth, Adult

Communion Second Sunday

Dress: Casual

Handicap Accessible: Yes


Ebenezer was first a log church on what is now Hickory Creek Road.  It burned and was rebuilt on its present site on land donated by Richard A. and Eliza J. Perkins in 1890.  The old church was likely used during the Civil War due to its close proximity to the Trevilians battlefield. The paved road that passes directly in front of the church was a muddy thoroughfare for wagons and horses in the early years.


Ebenezer has a rich history of families who have worshiped there. The Ellis, Perkins, Buchanan, Woolfolk, Poindexter, Uuderwood, Frank, Ogg, Carter, Smith, Thomas, Hiter and Riddell, families attended the church.  The Robertson family has worshiped there for greater than one hundred years with many current members descending from Richard Overton and Minnie Poore Robertson.


The cemetery contains graves including those of unknown members of the church.  The first graves marked with tombstones are dated in the 1800’s and give a vignette of life and loss in earlier times.

Present Building

The exact building date of the present building is unknown.  It is estimated from land records to have been built between 1890 and 1892. Early records show Sunday School attendance as early as 1900.  During the 1970’s the church received major renovations.  Over the past year (2006) the church has been repaired and renovated by stabilizing the foundation, installing new windows, carpeting, electrical wiring and lighting.  The small congregation feels that God has called upon us to build an addition to the church to provide bathrooms, kitchen, and a classroom/social hall.  A capital campaign has begun, building plans have been approved and construction is expected to begin in early 2007.

God willing we will be a part of the Oakland community for another 100 years.